Improve your skills in Professional Editing
Editing Practice has been substantially revised and updated.
- Learn hands-on experience in copy editing an online publication.
- You will work with a tutor (member of our academic staff) who will oversee your role as copy editor for an online publication.
- Use your knowledge to start or advance your career.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
Course Duration: 100 hours.
Start Date: Start at any time - study at a pace that suits you, and with full tutor support for the duration of your studies.
Format: Study online or by eLearning (USB Memory Stick) - choose where and when you study. 5% discount for online studies.
Lessons: Editing Practice takes you through the processes of editing for a specific publication, submitting work for publication, and meeting the requirements of an editor and publisher. The course comprises 4 lessons :-
- Working to Specifications
- Editing Articles for Online Publications
- Submitting Articles for Online Publications
- Preparing and submitting Layout for publication
Under the guidance of a mentor (a writing/editing tutor), you will learn to edit according to specific criteria, deal with a publisher, and communicate effectively with others involved in the publishing process.
Why is this such a valuable experience?
It is difficult to get a start in the publishing industry. Publishers are usually swamped by people seeking employment, and applicants may not even be considered unless they have already worked in the publishing field. This means that many qualified graduates never even get the opportunity to show what they can do!
This module gives our students just what they need – experience of copy editing. The module gives you that opportunity to work on a real-life publication. With something to show publishers, you have a much better chance of gaining employment in this field. On graduation, you will have a body of work that shows your experience in copy editing for online publications.
Gain hands-on experience as an editor in a student publishing team!
In this course, you will develop essential practical knowledge and skills that you will need in your career as editor or publisher. Under the guidance of a mentor (a member of our academic staff), you will plan, design, write, and publish a magazine, journal, or other publication. Think how that will look on your resumé!
Publishing I and Editing I, or equivalent.
Medium level computer skills.
HOW THE COURSE WORKS
You can start Editing Practice at any time.
It is studied by distance learning, so you can study in the comfort of your own home. But this doesn't mean you are all alone in your studies. Our highly qualified and friendly tutors are there to help you every step of the way. If you have any questions at all, they are always happy to help.
Each lesson includes set tasks, and is completed with an assignment which the student submits to their course tutor. The tutor will mark the assignment and return this to the student with comments and suggestions for further reading.
THE ADVANTAGES OF STUDYING WITH ACS
- Professional experience - Our courses are written and taught by experienced professionals, so you know you can expect a high quality of teaching and support.
- Solid reputation - ACS was established in 1979, and is independently operated. In this time we have helped and educated many students worldwide.
- Relevant - our courses are reviewed and frequently updated so you know that they will continue to be relevant to today's world.
- Start at any time - You can start the course at any time and study at your own pace (we do not impose a time limit for you to complete your studies).
- Flexible studies - Fit your studies around your own busy lifestyle - we provide full tutor support for all the time you are studying.
- Study where you want to - online studies offer the flexibility for you to determine where and when you study.
WHY STUDY EDITING PRACTICE?
- Learn the practical side of editing with this distance learning course.
Continue to work while you study and develop new marketable skills in editing.
- Take some time for you - improve your job prospects with this 100 hour course.
We encourage and receive a lot of feedback from our students. You can view some testimonials here. Below are some of the testimonials received from students who have completed the Editing Practice course:
"I took the course because I needed to learn to edit electronically. My previous editing course dealt almost exclusively with manual editing. What I wasn't prepared for was that a good deal of emphasis was placed on writing as much as editing. I found this very valuable, given that I actually prefer to write, but I also think you need to be able to edit as well."
ACS Student, Editing Practice
"[My tutor] continually challenged me and I rose to it every time. I had to repeat some of my work, but I did so willingly. What makes her so unusual is her positive attitude. I don't feel that she actually criticised me, but always made constructive suggestions aimed at improving my work, which is why I never minded repeating it. I am also grateful for the way she helped me to sell my writing for the first time. All my published work up to when I sold my first article last year was unpaid work. Her suggestions have also helped me to understand that there are many different types of writing and I would like to do a course in advanced freelance writing.
K. Box, Editing Practice
Register to Study - Go to “It’s Easy to Enrol” box at the top of the page and you can enrol now.
or click here for our free counselling service to contact a Writing and Journalism tutor for expert guidance - our tutors are always more than happy to help and have a passion for their subject.