Learn Horticultural management and hydroponics
- Developed and taught by experets - this course has been developed by an international team of industry professionals including: John Mason, author of Commercial Hydroponics (now in its 8th printing) and Dr Lyn Morgan, author and commercial hydroponic consultant.
- The course will develop your business, management and marketing skills.
- You will learn the basics of hydroponics - the systems and how to culture and grown specific plants and crops.
- This Advanced Certificate involves 3 areas of work - a combination of Core and Elective Modules plus a Workplace Project which will give you practical experience of what you have learned.
- The course is recognised and accredited through the International Accreditation and Recognition Council (I.A.R.C.)
- Full Certificate Duration – 900 Hours
This Advanced Certificate is structured in 3 parts:
1. CORE MODULES
4 modules of compulsory subjects for all students.
2. STREAM MODULES
There are 3 Stream Modules to complete. These are specific to this Advanced Certificate promoting the development of knowledge in this specialisation.
A workplace project. This is on the subject of management in the workplace and will require approximately 200 hours to complete. The project will involve approved work experience in a small business. The project specifically aims to provide the student with the opportunity to apply and integrate skills and knowledge developed through various areas of formal study.
More detailed information on the elements of the Advanced Certificate in Applied Management (Horticultural Technology) is shown below.
The 4 Core Modules and lessons structure for each are shown below. Further details on each of the modules can be found by clicking on the module title.
1. Office Practices VBS102
This is a foundation in office practices which will help you develop basic office skills covering the use of office equipment and office procedures. The module is comprised of 8 lessons:
- The Modern Office
- Communication Systems
- Interpersonal Communications
- Phone Skills
- Writing Letters and Other Documents
- Computer Applications
- Office Organisation and Procedures
- Health and Safety in the Office
2. Business Operations VBS0006
This modules seeks to provide you with a sound basic knowledge in Business Operations and looks at areas such as business law, finance - including liquidity and the money market, financial records and management and preparing a business plan. The module consists of the following 6 lessons:
- Financial Records
- Financial Management
- Business Planning
- Mistakes to avoid
3. Management VBS105
This module looks at management theories and procedures and includes areas such as staff management and problem solving. There are 7 lessons to complete:
- Introduction and Organisational Structures
- Management Theories and Procedures
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Management Styles and External Influences
- Employing People and Interview Skills
- Staff Management
- Ethics and Equity
4. Marketing Foundations VBS109
This is a broad module covering the basics of what marketing is through the marketing mix, promotion and pricing and market research. There are 10 lessons:
- Marketing and the Business
- Scope of Marketing
- Target Marketing
- The Marketing Mix and Managing Marketing
- Product Presentation and Packaging
- Promotion Communication Skills
- Product Pricing and Distribution Pricing
- Customer Service
- Market Research
The Stream Modules are specific to the Adanced Certificate in Applied Management (Horticultural Technology). Please click on the title of each module for further details.
Hydroponics I BHT224
This module provides an introduction to Hydroponics and includes areas such as nutrition, vegetable production and cut flower production. There are 10 lessons in the module.
- How a Plant Grows
- Hydroponic Systems
- Nutrition & Nutrition management
- Plant Culture
- Hydroponic Vegetable Production
- Hydroponic Cut Flower Production
- Solid Media vs Nutrient Film
- Greenhouse Operation & Management
- Special Assignment
Hydroponic Management (Hydroponics II) BHT213
This module looks at key issues which have been identified as recurrent problems for experienced growers and will develop your capacity to make informed decisions regarding the management of commercially significant hydroponic crops. There are 11 lessons in this module.
- How the Crop Plant Grows
- How to Run a Small Evaluation Trial
- Harvest and Post Harvest
- Lettuce, Salad Greens and Foliage Herb Crops
- Cucurbits (Cucumber and Melons)
Protected Plant Production BHT223
The module looks at the protected cultivation of plants, i.e. growing plants in a sheltered or closed environment for the purpose of improving plant growth/yield. The module comprises 10 lessons.
- Structures for Protected Cropping
- Environmental Control
- Cladding Materials and their Properties
- Nursery Nutrition
- Relationship between Production techniques and Horticultural practices
- Horticultural Management in a Greenhouse: Pests and Diseases
- Harvest and Post Harvest Technology
- Greenhouse Plants
- Risk Assessment
Industry Project or Work Experience
This is the final requirement that you must satisfy before receiving your award.
There are 2 options available to the student to satisfy this requirement:
If you work in the industry that you have been studying; you may submit a reference from your employer, in an effort to satisfy this industry/workplace projectrequirement; on the basis of RPL (i.e. recognition for prior learning), achieved through your current and past work experience. The reference must indicate that you have skills and an awareness of your industry, which is sufficient for you to work in a position of responsibility.
If you do not work in the relevant industry, there are other options such as doing volunteer work, underaking formal research paper, or attending industry seminars, conferences or trade shows.
So ... Why should I take this course?
- Progress your career to a management level or start your own business
You will -
On the business side:
- Develop business skills.
- Develop Management skills
- Develop marketing skills.
On the Hydroponics side:
- Learn the basics of hydroponics
- Learn to formulate and manage nutrients
- Learn about the various types of hydroponic systems
- Learn about media and plant culture
- Learn to grow specific crops
- Learn to manage hydroponics systems
- Learn to manage a greenhouse
Register to Study - Go to panel toward top of this page (right column)
Get Advice - Use our FREE COUNSELLING SERVICE to contact a tutor
CLICK TO CONTACT US
Start your own Hydroponics business or work in a management role in the industry
- Horticultural Management and Hydroponics - a course developed and taught by experts in the field.
- Train to supervise people in the hydroponics industry.
- Learn about horticulturally valuable crops, such as cut flowers and vegetables.
- Improve your knowledge on plant breeding.
- Learn business and management skills required to make a success of a horticultural technology business.
- This course is accredited by International Accreditation and Recognition Council