OFFICE PRACTICE COURSE DISTANCE LEARNING
Office Practices will provide you with practical office skills and techniques that can be applied directly on the job.
A good foundation in office practices is a great starting point for any administrative, secretarial or reception job. Employers are looking for candidates with the most skills and knowledge for their organisations. Improve your chances and learn the office basics. Once you have a general idea of how offices work and what kind of tasks are completed in an office, you will be able to easily slip into a position and grow on your knowledge with your new employer's culture.
As ACS courses offer flexibility, you can study in your own time, start the course when you need to and study at your own pace.
If you are new or returning to study, don't worry, our tutors are there to support you via email or telephone, every step of the way.
Duration: 100 hours
This course is comprised of eight lessons:
1. The Modern Office
2. Communication Systems
3. Interpersonal Communications
4. Phone Skills
5. Writing Letters and Other Documents
6. Computer Applications
7. Office Organisation and Procedures
8. Health and Safety in the Office
- Determine the price range of different items of equipment and materials.
- Determine the upper and lower limit of what it might be likely to cost you to set up a new office.
- Design a memorandum form.
- Explain postal systems used in a business.
- Create a MS Access Database.
- Design a filing system.
- Design a work schedule suitable for a specific workplace.
- Design a security system that can be implemented in a work situation.
- Design a layout for an office situation.
WHAT THE COURSE COVERS
Here are just some of the things you will be doing:
- Make a list of essential equipment, stationery and other materials.
- Visit an office supply company.
- Collect catalogues or price lists for different products available.
- Compare the implications of having an office at home with leasing, buying or using a serviced office.
- Explain applications to use and apply the following office equipment:
- mobile phones
- Report on the range of systems covering:
- electronic banking
- mobile phones
- rail services
- Write a letter applying for this job.
- Write a letter from an organisation (real or imaginary) to another organisation.
- Ask your local computer supplier about virus removal software and hardware.
- Compile a table of 10 computer systems.
- What roles can computers play in business?
- Contact or visit various stationery supplies to find out about what materials are available.
- Write a report about how to design a filing system suitable for your area of work.
- Inspect various offices to see how they are utilising space and storage.
- Contact various suppliers of office furniture to see what furniture is available.
This course is for those wishing to gain work in an office. It develops knowledge and skills in the operation of an office, covering such things as: nature and scope of office work, office procedures, the home office vs commercial premises, communication systems (phone, faxes, couriers, postage, etc); writing letters and reports, scope and uses for computers, setting up and care of a PC, office materials and equipment (stationary, furniture, paper, record keeping etc); office organization and procedures, security, etc.
Why Study the Course?
This is a great course to choose, if you want to not only learn about the subject now;
but keep learning after you finish studying. We believe a good course should not only
develop intelligence and knowledge; but also:
- Improve your ability to communicate with others within the discipline
- Develop problem solving skills relevant to this discipline
- Expand awareness and develop creativity
- Facilitate networking (develop contacts within an industry)
- Develop attributes that set you apart from others in your industry
- Motivate you, build confidence, and more
According to some authorities, success is actually only affected about 20% by your knowledge and intelligence.
Our school works at helping you in a holistic way, to develop all of the things
mentioned above, in a way that relates to the discipline you are studying; and
in this way, giving you the capacity to apply yourself to unanticipated problems,
to understand new information as it emerges, to see and seize on new opportunities
as they reveal themselves, and to continue to grow your abilities within your discipline
as you progress through life after study.
In a world that is changing faster all the time; it is difficult to even be certain how this industry
might change between the start of your course, and the time you finish studying.
With this in mind; any course that is to have long term value in today's world, must develop
broad generic skills (as above). This approach to education is not unique to ACS, but it is
an approach tested, proven and adopted in our courses; and an approach that is also used
by some of the most successful, cutting edge universities and colleges around the world.
ACS follows the old fashioned idea that “the student comes first”. Our staff are told to treat every student as an individual and respond promptly to their enquiries; and the facilities we have developed and continue to develop, are all focused on that goal. Facilities include:
- Offices in two time zones (UK and Australia) –which means an international team of academics are responding to students 5 days a week and 16 hours a day.
- An online student room with unique resources that are only available to students studying our courses, including online library.
- Bookshop offering quality downloadable e books
- A data base of 20 million words of unique information written by our staff over 3 decades that can be drawn upon if needed by academics for use in supporting our students.
- Systems that ensure assignments are tracked, marked and returned to students, fast -commonly within a round 1 week & rarely more than 2 weeks (note: many other colleges take longer).
- The school is active in social networking and encourages students to connect with us and each other.
- No automated handling of student phone enquiries. When you call you get a real person; or leave a message and a real person will call you back within a day, but more commonly within an hour or two.
- No additional charges for extra tutor support over the phone or email.
- Free careers advice for graduates –It is our policy to provide support and advice to our students even after they graduate. If a graduate needs help with getting a CV together, or advice on setting up a business or looking for work; they only need ask.
- The quality of academic staff is higher than many other colleges.
How our Courses Differ
- Courses are continually improved –we invite feedback from all graduates and change courses immediately the need is detected.
- Courses are relevant to the whole world –we try hard to teach make the learning transferable to any region or country because the world is increasingly a global economy
- Courses written by our staff, teach different skills to standard courses; giving a unique mix of skills and knowledge to provide a career advantage. Do you want an accredited certificate and the same skills as 100 other job applicants; or one of our courses with skills that no other applicants have?
- Certificates and diplomas are longer. They teach you more, and our qualifications have built a reputation amongst academics and industry as being a very high standard for this reason.
- We are focused on helping you learn in a way that improves your capacity to understand your discipline, apply knowledge, and continue learning and developing your capabilities beyond your course.
These things cannot be always said of other colleges.
Study alone can never guarantee career success; but a good education is an important starting point.
Success in a career depends upon many things. A course like this is an excellent starting point because it provides a foundation for continued learning, and the means of understanding and dealing with issues you encounter in the workplace.
When you have completed an ACS course, you will have not only learnt about the subject, but you will have been prompted to start networking with experts in the discipline and shown how to approach problems that confront you in this field.
This and every other industry in today’s world is developing in unforeseen ways; and while that is unsettling for anyone who wants to be guaranteed a particular job at the end of a particular course; for others, this rapidly changing career environment is offering new and exciting opportunities almost every month.
If you want to do the best that you can in this industry, you need to recognise that the opportunities that confront you at the end of a course, are probably different to anything that has even been thought of when you commence a course.
How to Enrol -Go to right panel toward top of this page
More Help -Use our FREE COUNSELLING SERVICE to contact a tutor
OFFICE PRACTICES COURSE
WORKING IN AN OFFICE - THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Experienced office workers are always in demand. Gain the skills and knowledge necessary for the operation of an office.
Ideal for people new to office work or those who want to refine their skills and knowledge on office practices.
Develop knowledge and skills in office operations.
Learn office procedures.