Develop Your Abilities in R & D
Research and Development is critical to every industry today.
In the past you may have been able to find a way of working, and stuck with it for decades, but the way we do most jobs today is transient. New methods are constantly being developed, as are new products. Everything is constantly under review, and with new ideas, technologies and scientific discoveries, the workplace and the marketplace constantly changes.
Research and Development initiatives are a big part of what is driving change. Breakthrough in R & D can result in big jumps in productivity as well as accessibility and quality of services (or products).
The most successful enterprises and individuals are those that understand and invest in well conceived, planned and executed R & D.
This course is relevant to Research and Development of anything including the following and much more:
- Science and technology
- Social Services
- Agricultural or Industrial Products
- Environmental Management
- Health and Wellbeing
When you understand how to research and develop; you then know how to improve everything you are involved with, at work of course, but much more than just that.
These modules provide foundation knowledge for the Advanced Certificate in Research and Development.
Research Project I BGN102
Research Project II BGN201
Research Project III BGN202
Research Project IV (Thesis Preparation) BGN301
Technical Writing (Advanced) BWR301
In addition to the above modules, students study any 1 of the following modules.
Industry Project BIP000
Industry Project II BIP001
Workplace Health & Safety VBS103
Workshop I BGN103
Information Security BIT203
Operations Management VBS201
Plant Breeding BHT236
Project Management BBS201
SQL For The Web BIT201
Workshop II BGN203
Business Planning BBS302
Environmental Assessment BEN301
Professional Practice For Consultants BBS301
Workshop III BGN302
900 hours of self-paced study
Do you understand how to Conduct Research Properly?
Research isn't just a skill needed by a research scientist or academic. Research skills are critical to every day life -running a business, planning for more success, spending money more effectively.
Research involves gathering, sorting and analysing information. It involves determining what is and is not true and useful.
To properly undertake research you need to learn about and understand:
- Ethics in Research - Protection from harm, Debriefing, Consent, Confidentiality, Right to withdraw etc.
- Asking the question – Writing the hypothesis and aim, What is a hypothesis, Types of hypothesis, What is an aim, Writing aims
- Selecting Participants - Sampling methods, Opportunity sampling, Snowball sampling, Random sampling, Stratified sampling etc.
- Experiments - Laboratory experiments, Field experiments, Natural experiments, Strengths and weakness
- Variables - IV, DV, Extraneous Variables
- Experimental Design - Repeated measures – definition, strengths and weaknesses, examples; Independent measures – ditto, Matched pairs, Counterbalancing
- Reliability and validity, correlations, interviews and questionnaires, observations
- Writing up a report, including referencing