Are you looking to move into management or ownership of a wholesale nursery?
- This all-encompassing course provides a detailed foundation to forward your career or business ambitions.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
The course content is as follows:
Core studies - 4 modules (400 hours) of compulsory subjects for all students. The 4 core modules are Office Practices, Business Operations, Managementand Marketing.
Elective studies – 3 stream units for the development of knowledge in a chosen industry sector. The 3 stream modules are Wholesale Nursery Management, Propagation 1 and Cutting Propagation.
Further information on the modules is shown below; you can also click on the module titles to go to the specific course pages for each of these.
Project – a workplace project of 200 hrs relevant to your field of study. The project specifically aims to provide the student with the opportunity to apply and integrate skills and knowledge developed through various areas of formal study.
You can find more information on the workplace project here.
Totalling 400 hours. All 4 of these modules must be studied and passed.
1. Office Practices VBS102
Develops basic office skills covering use of equipment, communication systems (telephone, fax, etc) and office procedures such as filing, security, workplace organisations, etc.
The module comprises 8 lessons, as follows:
1. The Modern Office
2. Communication Systems
3. Interpersonal Communications
4. Phone Skills
5. Writing Letters and Other Documents
6. Computer Applications
7. Office Organisation and Procedures
8. Health and Safety in the Office
2. Business operations VBS006
Develops knowledge of basic business operations and procedures (eg. types of businesses, financial management, business analysis, staffing, productivity, etc) and the skills to develop a 12 month business plan.
The module comprises 6 lessons, as follows:
3. Financial Records
4. Financial Management
5. Business Planning (Developing a 12 month business plan).
6. Mistakes to avoid
3. Management VBS105
Develops knowledge of management structures, terminology, supervision, recruitment and workplace health and safety.
The module comprises 7 lessons, as follows:
1. Introduction and Organisational Structures
2. Management Theories and Procedures
3. Problem Solving and Decision Making
4. Management Styles and External Influences
5. Employing People and Interview Skills
6. Staff Management
7. Ethics and Equity
4. Marketing Foundations VBS109
Develops a broad understanding of marketing and specific skills in writing advertisements, undertaking market research, developing an appropriate marketing plan and selling.
The module comprises 10 lessons, as follows:
1. Marketing and the Business
2. The Scope of Marketing
3. Target Marketing
4. The Marketing Mix and Managing the Marketing Effort
5. Product Presentation and Packaging
7. Product Pricing and Distribution Pricing
8. Customer Service
9. Market Research
10. Organisations - Structures and Roles
The stream studies are as follows:
1. Wholesale Nursery Management BHT212
The module comprises 8 lessons, as follows:
1. Nursery Site Organisation
3. Nutrition and Pest Management
4. Growing Media
5. Irrigation Management for Production Nurseries
6. Modifying Plant Growth
7. Nursery Marketing Strategies
8. Selection of Nursery Crops
2. Propogation I BHT108
The course comprises 10 lessons, as follows:
1. Introduction to Propagation
2. Seed Propagation
3. Potting Media
4. Vegetative Propagation I
5. Vegetative Propagation II
6. Vegetative Propagation III
7. Propagation Structures and Materials
8. Risk Management
9. Nursery Management I
10. Nursery Management II
3. Cutting Propogation BHT211
This module comprises 8 lessons, as follows:
2. Stem Cuttings
3. Non-stem Cuttings
4. Materials and Equipment
5. Growing Media and Propogation Media
6. Factors Affecting Rooting
7. Setting up a Propagation Area
8. Management of Cutting Crops
Benefits of Studying This Course
With some subtle differences to our Advanced Certificate in Applied Management (Retail Nursery), take this course if:
- You wish to learn about management and marketing, but with a bias towards the horticulture sector.
- You want to advance your career and move into a management position within the industry.
- You are looking to own a business and need to expand your knowledge.
This is an extremely comprehensive course. It covers your choice of horticulture based units under the elective component but being a management based course the key focus in the core studies is on developing a thorough understanding of how to run a business and promote it. It will appeal to owners and operators of nurseries as well as to key staff in those operations. Take this course to bring success to a wholesale nursery or related business. Those completing this course are likely to be in the following fields:
Nursery & propagation
Supervisory & foreman roles
Retail nursery owner/operator
Register to Study - Go to panel toward top of this page (right column)
Get Advice - Use our FREE COUNSELLING SERVICE to contact a tutor
CLICK TO CONTACT US