Learn the techniques of plant breeding and advance your career!
- Plant breeding is a bigger industry than most people realize. In some places, earnings from plant breeding rights can equal or exceed earnings from actually producing plants.
- Today's nurseryman needs to understand plant breeding and selection; and to this end, this course is a very valuable and unique course for anyone working in the modern industry.
- Course Duration: 100 hours of self paced study.
- Start at any time and study at a pace to suit you.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
There are 7 lessons in this module as follows:
1. The Scope and Nature of the Plant Breeding Industry
- What is Plant Breeding
- Scope of the Modern Industry
- Sources of Genetic Material
- Germplasm Preservation
- Botanic Gardens, Plant Breeding Organisations, Research Bodies
2. Introduction to Genetics
- Review of Plant Genetics Linkage and Crossing Over
- Homologous Chromosomes
- Cell Biology -cell components, cell wall, nucleus
- Protein Synthesis
- Plant Anatomy
- Plant Genetics, Mendel's Principles and Experiment
- Genetic Terminology
- Gene Linkages
3. Gamete Production, Pollination and Fertilisation in Plants
- Phases of Plant Reproduction
- Gamete Production
- Gene Mutation
- Sources of Genetic Variation: Polyploidy, Bud Sports and Chimeras
- Male Sterility
- Effect of Environment
- Use of Pollination Biology in Plant Breeding: Pollination Process, Pollination Requirements, Cross Pollination, Fertilisation, Male/Female Recognition, Overcoming incompatibility, Post Fertilisation, Pollen Selection, Floral Introduction etc.
- Mitosis and Meiosis
- Sexual Structures in Plants: Flowers, Fruit, Seed
4. Mono Hybrid and Di-hybrid Inheritance in Plants
- Mono hybrid Crosses
- Di-hybrid Crosses
- Gene Linkages
- Crossing Over
- Quantitative Traits
5. Systematic Botany and Floral Structures
- Systematic Botany
- Plant Morphology
- Type Specimens
- Floral Diagrams
- International Botanical Code
- Binomial System; Genus and species
- Hybrids, Varieties, Cultivars
- Name Changes
- Nomenclature of hybrids
- Using Botanical Keys
6. Practical Plant Breeding Techniques
- Plant Breeding Programs
- Breeding Self Pollinated Crops
- Pure Line Breeding
- Mass Selection
- Pedigree Breeding
- Bulk Population Breeding
- Breeding Cross Pollinated Crops
- Single Plant Selection
- Mass Selection
- Progeny Selection
- Line Breeding
- Recurrent Selection
- Backcross Breeding
- Induced Polyploidy
- Hybrid Seed Production
- Dormancy Factors Affecting Germination (e.g. hard seeds, lack of permeability to water, chemical inhibitors, undeveloped embryos, etc.)
7. Current Developments in Plant Genetics
- Plant Biotechnology
- Genetic Engineering
- DNA Markers
- Somatic Hybridisation
- Plant Breeders Rights
- Trade Marks, Patents
- Describe the commercial and scientific nature of the modern plant breeding industry, on a global basis
- Describe the structure and function of genetic material
- Describe gamete production in plants.
- Explain the results of mono hybrid and di-hybrid inheritance in plants.
- Investigate the role of systematic botany in horticulture.
- Explain a variety of different plant breeding techniques.
- Review current developments in plant breeding.
"I am very pleased and impressed with the way that ACS recently handled my submission.
This included acknowledgement of receipt of my answers, finding a specialist to answer a specific subject enquiry, and a tutor to mark the work in the temporary absence of Katie.
All three were both professional and helpful, contributing to my enjoyment and acquisition of interesting, useful knowledge from the Plant Breeding course".
Malcolm Quigley, UK
Benefits of Studying This Course
Set against a background in scientific principles, this course equips students with vast knowledge and practical insights into breeding plants. It will satisfy the curiosity of plant enthusiasts and growers who would like to experiment with creating new cultivars or hybrids of their own. The course may be studied by itself or as part of a higher level qualification. It will have greatest appeal to enthusiastic amateurs and people working in the following areas:
Propagation & nursery
Register to Study - Go to “It’s Easy to Enrol” box at the top of the page and you can enrol now.
Get Advice – Email us at email@example.com OR
Use our FREE COUNSELLING SERVICE to contact a tutor
CLICK TO CONTACT US
Learn the techniques of plant breeding with this unique course.
- Gain knowledge with this solid introduction to plant breeding.
- A useful qualification for career advancement.
- Learn from industry experts – our tutors.