Study Childhood Learning and Behavioural Disorders Online
Childhood disorders are diverse and there are different ways to group them or classify them. It takes a lot of study and perseverance to grasp what these different disorders are and differences in their symptoms, aetiology and course. Many behavioural disorders such as conduct disorder continue on into adult life, for example, and are more prevalent in older children than younger ones.
This course examines developmental disorders such as learning disorders, pervasive developmental disorders (e.g. autism spectrum disorder), communication and motor disorders. It also covers behavioural disorders and ADHD which is regarded as a neurodevelopmental disorder. The key thing is that all these problems have onset during childhood development and produce a range of symptoms which cause distress to those afflicted, and often those who care for them.
Develop Your Career Working With Children
- Understand more about the signs, symptoms and treatment available to help children.
- There are nine lessons covering a range of topics including learning disabilities, autism and Apserger's Syndrome, pervasive developmental disorders, ADHD, conduct disorders, learning disorders and much more.
- An essential course for anyone working with children with behavioural or learning conditions who wants to learn more.
Study this course in conjunction with our Child & Adolescent Mental Health course to gain a deep understanding of the range of mental health disorders which can affect young people.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
Course Duration: 100 hours.
Start Date: Start at any time - study at a pace that suits you, and with full tutor support for the duration of your studies.
Lessons: The course comprises 9 lessons as detailed, below.
There are nine lessons in this course:
1. Developmental Disorders - Learning Disabilities
- How to classify Childhood Disorders.
- What are the causes of Developmental Disorders?
- Genetic, Physical and Environmental Causes.
- How to diagnose Developmental Disorders.
- How common Developmental Disorders are within the General Population.
- How Developmental Disorders Impact on Families and Children and Adolescents.
- Learning Disability.
- Levels of Severity.
2. Autism - Autistic Disorder signs, symptoms, treatment and support
- What is Autism?
- The Symptoms and Signs of Autism - Impaired Interactions and Social Development; Communication; Repetitive Behaviour.
- What are the causes of Autism?
- History of Autism.
- How common is Autism within the General Population.
- The differences in severity and challenges that are experienced by people with autism.
- Issues Children and Adolescents with Autism need to deal with.
- The challenges that a family with an Autistic child face.
- How to treat Children and Adolescents with Autism.
- How to support a child with Autism.
- Supportive Services available for children and adolescents with Autism.
3. Asperger's Disorder - signs, symptoms, treatment and support
- What is Asperger’s Disorder?
- The Signs and Symptoms of Asperger’s Disorder - Social Interactions; Repetitive Behaviour.
- What causes of Asperger’s Disorder?
- The history of Asperger’s Disorder.
- How common is Asperger’s Disorder within the General Population?
- Asperger’s Disorder and Autism – The Autism Spectrum.
- How does Asperger’s Disorder impact on the Child or Adolescent?
- How does having a child with Asperger’s Disorder impact on the Family?
- Some Treatments for Children and Adolescents with Asperger’s Disorder.
- How to Support Children with Asperger’s Disorder?
- Services Available for Children with Asperger’s Disorder.
4. Other Pervasive Developmental Disorders (Rett's Disorder, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, Developmental Disorders NOS) signs, symptoms, treatment and support
- What are Pervasive Developmental Disorders?
- Rett’s Disorder.
- Childhood Disintegrative Disorder.
- Other types of Developmental Disorders.
- What causes of Developmental Disorders?
- How Developmental Disorders are diagnosed?
- How Developmental Disorders impact on a Child or Adolescent.
- The issues that a Family of the Child or Adolescent with Developmental Disorders face.
5. Attention-Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders - ADHD & variants, signs, symptoms, treatment and support
- What are the Signs & Symptoms of ADHD? - Features of Inattention; Features of Hyperactivity-Impulsivity; Settings.
- What are the causes of ADHD?
- The history of ADHD.
- How prevalent is ADHD?
- Treating ADHD.
- Support Available.
- Things that may aggravate ADD or ADHD Symptoms.
- How is a Child or Adolescent affected by ADD and ADHD.
- How having an ADD or ADHD child will impact on the family.
6. Conduct Disorders (Include oppositional defiant disorder) signs, symptoms, treatment and support
- What are Conduct Disorders?
- Some signs and Symptoms of Conduct Disorders.
- Genetic and Environmental risk factors that cause Conduct Disorders.
- How prevalent is Conduct Disorders within the General Population.
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
- Some signs and symptoms of Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
- What causes of Oppositional Defiant Disorder?
- How prevalent is Oppositional Defiant Disorder in the General Population.
- Anti-Social Personality Disorder (APD).
- Treatments for Conduct Disorders.
- Support for Families and Children with Conduct Disorders.
- The Impact of Conduct Disorders on Children.
- The Impact on the Family of with a Child that has a Conduct Disorder.
- Supporting Children with Conduct Disorders.
7. Learning Disorders - focus on academia (Mathematics, Reading Disorder - Dyslexia, etc.) signs, symptoms, treatment and support
- Specific Developmental Disorders.
- Definition of Learning Disorders.
- Reading Disorder (Developmental Dyslexia).
- Disorder of Written Expression (Specific Spelling Disorder).
- Mathematics (Arithmetic) Disorder.
8. Communications Disorders & Motor Skills Disorder - focus on speech and language signs, symptoms, treatment and support
- Definition of Communication Disorders.
- Causes of Communication Disorders.
- Phonological Disorder.
- Expressive Language Disorder.
- Mixed Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder.
- Motor Skills Disorder.
- Impact on the Child and Family of Communication Disorders.
9. Special Project (choose something of interest to the student) signs, symptoms, treatment and support.
Many behavioural and learning disorders can arise during childhood.
This course will improve your knowledge of developmental and behavioural conditions in children and enable you to provide better support.
Benefits of Studying This Course
This course enhances the students knowledge and awareness of developmental, learning and behavioural disorders in children. Studying this course will help students to make sense of disorders in these groups through their presenting features as well as to become aware of what types of treatment options are available.
It is a must-do course for people who are working in any of the following areas:
• Youth work
• Child and adolescent counselling
• School counselling
• Child psychology
• Caring roles
• Youth coaching