Learn the Basics of Forensics
This course is intended to be a broad-based introduction to the work
of forensic scientists and the role of forensics in related fields.
It is intended to appeal to people interested in or embarking on a
range of careers such as forensic scientist, lawyer, police officer,
detective, profiler, security guard, correctional staff, probation
officer or parole officer. It also includes psychology by way of
examining criminality, profiling and the role of mental disorders in
crime and therefore has appeal to those working with offenders or who
wish to pursue careers in areas such as clinical and forensic
psychology, social work, counselling and psychiatric nursing.
- Define forensic science and its various offshoots.
- Describe the application of forensic science to the investigation of crimes and legal process.
- Explain crime scene investigations, different categories of evidence, and their collection procedures.
- Explain how different types of evidence are tested and analysed on site and in the laboratory.
- Explain the roles of individuals working in specialist forensic sciences and the services they provide.
- Understand theories underlying criminal behaviour in men, women and children.
Explain psychological disorders and how this can relate to criminal behaviour in adults.
- Explain how assessment and data collection is used in forensic
sciences, law enforcement and psychology to profile criminal offenders.
- Understand how evidence is presented in court and issues surrounding eye witness testimonies.
- Explain how ethical issues can influence collection of evidence, use of data and profiling.
Course Content and Structure
There are ten lessons in this course as follows:
- Nature of Forensic Science
- Forensic Science & Law
- Evidence Collection
- Analysis of Evidence
- Specialist Forensic Services
- Psychological Disorders & Crime
- Criminal Profiling & Intelligence
- Presenting Evidence in Court
- Ethical Issues
HOW THE COURSE WORKS
You can start the Introduction to Forensic Science course at any time.
It is studied by distance learning, so you can study in the comfort of your own home. But this doesn't mean you are all alone in your studies. Our highly qualified and friendly tutors are there to help you every step of the way. If you have any questions at all, they are always happy to help.
Each lesson includes set tasks, and is completed with an assignment which the student submits to their course tutor. The tutor will mark the assignment and return this to the student with comments and suggestions for further reading.
STUDYING WITH ACS
Quality courses - expert tuition - unlimited support.
At ACS we provide you with more than just a set of course notes.
Your 'learning package' includes:
- Course notes.
- Self-assessment quizzes.
- Assignment feedback.
- Contact your experienced tutor with any questions
Our tutors are more than happy to help and advise you with any questions regarding the course. Please contact us if you have any questions at all.
Study when and where you want to. Why delay? Enrol today!