What Is Wrong with our Universities?
Looking For an alternative to University, Vocational College or a Career Certificate?
University, Vocational and College education hasn't really changed that much in decades. In fact, the concepts and conventions we follow today are much the same as when universities and colleges started; in some cases hundreds of years ago.
The world has changed though!
Our needs have changed too.
We need a totally fresh and unbiased approach to education.
"The world is changing faster than ever in our history. We need to evolve a new appreciation of the importance of nurturing human talent, alonmg with an understanding of how talent expresses itself differently in every individual. We need to create an environment -in our schools, in our workplaces and in our public offices -where every person is inspired to grow creatively."
Sir Ken Robinson (Author of "The Element", Penguin Books)
WHAT IS WRONG WITH UNIVERSITIES & VOCATIONAL COLLEGES?
- Often they take a long time from identifying the need for a course before they start running it. Many courses are designed to cater for needs that were identified a long time ago.
- Many institutions have become top heavy, or so heavily focussed on politics, finance, and complience (i.e. satisfying audits and bureacrats), that actual learning is put in second place.
- Studies are too often focussed on passing exams rather than building creativity, passion and a capacity to thrive within a discipline, and ultimately an industry.
- Over the past few decades the content of many qualifications has been reduced, and courses shortened. This has led to more graduates for each dollar spent on education ... but one must ask, at what price?
One only needs to look at articles in newspapers to see that graduates are all too often not getting the jobs they thought they would be guaranteed after graduation. Criticism of "traditional" "government accredited courses" is rife in many industries. While all this happens, government is spending more money and effort on PR than ever before, attempting to shore up an illusion that their "accredited courses" are good.
One must ask ... "If accredited education from established institutions is so good: why does it need to be promoted as being good?"
WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES
- Recognise the fact that many of the most successful people in today's world, do not hold lots of formal qualifications from "traditional" colleges and universities. In fact, some of the most successful people are those who dropped out of courses after recognising that the course was not taking them where they wanted to go.
- There are alternatives outside of the mainstream. The problem is that there are also poor quality diploma mills outside of the mainstream too. You need to search out, look closely and identify good options that will help you gain an education more in tune with the 21st century.
ACS NETWORK OF COLLEGES
Colleges in the ACS Network provide alternatives that tend toward the philosophies outlined above:
Check out some of these:
Health Academy Australia
Garden Design Academy (France)
FIND OUT MORE - TALK TO US.
Please get in touch to talk about your goals and determine which studies would be suitable for you. Connect with our expert tutors in your area of interest, use our FREE COURSE COUNSELLING SERVICE.
Stay in Touch. Follow us on:
Garden Design Academy(France)