Lessons in this course:
Lesson 1: Scope and Nature of Small Equipment Repair
Scope and Nature of small equipment repair
Basic electrical principles
Series and parallel circuits
Components inside equipment and appliances
Lesson 2: Equipment, Tools and Safety
Who is responsible?
Clean up & Tool Storage
Types of adhesives/ tapes that can be used
Using Power Tools
Lesson 3: Practices and Techniques Used in Repair
Lesson 4: Parts for Small Appliances or Equipment
Parts of small appliances
Lesson 5: Household Appliances
Home appliance repair
Blenders & food processors
Lesson 6: Motor and Engine Repair
Parts of a motor
Types of electric motors and applications
Common issues of motors
Electrical and mechanical issues
Common indicators of motor problems
Common issues of engines
Pistons - cracked or holed
Connecting rods - bent or broken
Big end connecting rod bearings – noisy and/or worn
Main bearings – worn and/or seized
Camshaft lobes – worn
Crankshafts - cracked or broken
Cylinder head gasket – blown
Routine maintenance for motors/ engines
Lesson 7: Trades Equipment Repair
Lesson 8: Responsible Recycling
Management of Work
Parts that can be recycled
Responsible disposal and recycling
Aims of this course
- Discuss the scope and nature of small equipment repair work.
- Determine appropriate safety protocols to follow when servicing or repairing small machines.
- Describe the nature and use of tools used for repair and maintenance of small equipment.
- Describe a variety of different techniques for attaching/ holding/installing/replacing components in equipment.
- Determine how these techniques may be used in the maintenance and repair of different equipment.
- Describe the routine maintenance and repair of several types of household equipment.
- Explain how to install appropriate common replacement parts into a variety of different items of equipment.
- Describe the routine maintenance and repair of several pieces of equipment powered by engines or motors.
- Describe the routine maintenance and repair of several types of trades equipment.
- To explain the importance of responsible recycling.