Study Conflict Management - learn effective methods of resolving conflict.
- This course will provide you with a range of conflict management techniques.
- Gain an understanding of conflict and how we can work to avoid it.
- Learn the approaches to conflict resolution, through a combination of reading, interacting with tutors, undertaking research, practical tasks, etc.
- Develop your ability to manage conflict situations, as a counselor, manager, supervisor, or simply a concerned person.
- Conflict handling is an important area in many different situations and careers. From law enforcement, to personnel, human resources, management, teaching, social work, counselling and many more.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
Course Duration: 100 hours.
Start Date: Start at any time - study at a pace that suits you, and with full tutor support for the duration of your studies.
Lessons: The course comprises 8 lessons as detailed, below.
1. Conflict Management and Anger
- What is Conflict?
- Conflict Handling Techniques.
- Conflict Handling Styles.
- Comparing Strategies to Handle Conflict.
- Scope and Nature of Anger.
- Approaches to Handling Anger.
- Anger Management Techniques.
- Dealing with Anger in Yourself and Others.
- Channels of Communication.
- Stages of Listening.
- Obstacles to Listening.
- Emphatic Listening.
- Ground Rules for Listening.
- Listeners in Control.
- Traps for Listeners.
- Scope and Nature of Negotiating.
- The Establishment Group.
- The Community Group.
- Bargaining in Negotiations.
- Win-Win Bargaining or Integrative Bargaining.
- Being a Skilled Negotiator.
- The Joint Problem Solving Approach.
- Writing a Brief.
- Negotiating Mistakes.
- Dealing with Difficult People.
- Finding a Solution.
- What is Mediation?
- When is Mediation Called for?
- The Mediators Role.
- The Mediation Process.
- Team Work.
- Mediation Model.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Nature and Scope of Facilitation.
- Preparing the Facilitation Meeting.
- Attributes of a Good Facilitator.
- Stress and the Fight or Flight Response.
- Symptoms and Effect of Stress.
- A Stress Management Response Program.
6. Balance of Power
- Problems with Negotiation.
- Problem of Re-entry.
- Balance of Power.
- Dealing with Power Imbalance.
- Verbal Bullying.
- Asking Questions.
- Information and Experience.
- Agenda Setting.
- Role Playing.
- Needs Exploration.
- Ending a Meeting.
7. Discussion and Group Work
- Group Conflict Management Exercises.
- Anger Exercises.
- Listening Exercises.
- Negotiation and Mediation Exercises.
- Joint Problem Solving Exercises.
- Role Play Exercises.
- Conducting Structured Exercises in Small Groups.
- What to Avoid.
8. Crisis Analysis and Responses
- Nature and Scope of a Crisis.
- Response to Crisis.
- Principles and Goals of Crisis Intervention.
- Crisis Intervention Techniques.
- Describe the nature of human conflict and ways to manage it.
- Explain the importance of listening when dealing with conflict situations, and appreciate different listening techniques.
- Define negotiation and discuss the process of negotiation.
- Define mediation and discuss the process of mediation.
- Define facilitation and discuss the process of facilitation.
- Discuss problems that may arise through negotiation, in particular, balance of power and its connotations.
- Explain the importance of working in groups as a means of learning how to deal with group conflicts.
- Explain ways of understanding and dealing with different types of crisis.
WHAT YOU MAY DO IN THIS COURSE
Here are just some of the things you may cover:
- Different types of conflict handling styles.
- Dealing with Anger.
- Controlling listening and Traps for listeners.
- Emphatic listening.
- Negotiation between community and establishment.
- Practical suggestions for negotiation, breaking the rules, alternatives.
- Responsibilities of a mediator, mediation processes, agreements, team work, settling behaviour.
- Factors influencing the balance of power.
- Role play.
- Conducting structured experiences in small groups.
HOW THE COURSE WORKS
You can start the course at any time.
It is studied by distance learning, so you can study in the comfort of your own home. But this doesn't mean you are all alone in your studies. Our highly qualified and friendly tutors are there to help you every step of the way. If you have any questions at all, they are always happy to help.
Each lesson includes set tasks, and is completed with an assignment which the student submits to their course tutor. The tutor will mark the assignment and return this to the student with comments and suggestions for further reading.
- Quality courses, quality teaching - our courses are written and taught by experienced professionals, so you know you can expect a high quality of teaching and support.
- Flexibility - you can start the course at any time and study at your own pace, fitting your studies around your own busy lifestyle.
- Study where you want to - the choice of studying online or by eLearning means you decide where and when you study.
Study Conflict Management to help you in your work, or in your workplace.
- Understand conflict and how to handle it.
- Learn about the processes of negotiation, mediation, facilitation, and more.
- Understand how to communicate and how to respond to a crisis.
The course is mostly suited to counsellors and people in similar positions, but is also designed to be beneficial to a range of professionals. People in the following roles may benefit form taking this course:
Start learning today.
If you have any questions, please do get in touch with us - connect with our expert tutors, use our FREE COURSE COUNSELLING SERVICE.
Stay in Touch. Follow us on: