Careers in Science
Most science students tend think of career opportunities as being competative and restricted largely to teaching or research.
There are in fact a diverse range of other options; but students should also be careful about their choice of studies if they are to optimize their career opportunities.
- Take Applied modules (or courses) in preference to theory modules (or courses)
- Take some non standard courses (If you have modules different to others at a job interview, you will stand out as having something different to offer).
- Take modules that develop a skill which can enhance other scientific knowledge in a way that can be sold to employers or clients (eg. Environmental Assessment, Project Management, Computer Programming, Freelance Journalism, Business Studies, etc).
- Enhance a basic Academic Science Qualification by studying shorter complementary vocationally oriented courses.
Consider a certificate course after a science diploma or degree. Here are some scenarios that can work for science graduates to develop their career potential:
- A Biological Science Graduate who completes a Marketing Certificate may get a job as a marketing manager or sales representative dealing with scientific equipment or products.
- An Environmental Science Graduate who studies a certificate in Landscape Design or Draftsmanship may get employment with a Planning office
- A graduate in Botany who does a horticulture certificate may obtain employment in a Parks Department or Plant Nursery
- A Physics graduate who completes a certificate in mechanics may find it easier to gain work in automotive engineering.
- A graduate in Chemistry who undertakes a course in food science may gain work easier with a food manufacturer
- A graduate who undertakes studies in management or business may gain a junior management position in an organisation providing scientific products or services
For further advice, try using our FREE course counselling service, or email us on email@example.com
Contact us -Talk to an Academic Officer
We provide a FREE COURSE AND CAREER COUNSELLING SERVICE
Learn from our experience.
More from ACS
Short courses, certificates and diplomas - dozens of unique study options