Study Tree Classification, Cultivation and Maintenance of Conifers and Deciduous Trees.
- Learn about the classification and characteristics of conifers and deciduous trees.
- Understand the processes of cultivation, development, and maintenance.
- Learn about the uses of trees in the landscape, as well as other purposes such as building.
- Students will devise processes for tree selection, cultivation, and maintenance.
- Elective modules enable students to choose between studying the areas of tree physiology and disorders, and environmental systems and the rehabilitation of degraded landscapes.
Trees give a garden a three dimensional structure throughout the year. They can also give a garden an undeniable age. However, one of the most important early decisions in the design of a garden is which trees to plant. There are many variables to consider such as final size, soil-type, and colour of flowers. If you get this right then your garden will be off to a flying start. This course focuses on all aspects of the cultivation of big woody plants and is a great addition to the education of anyone who looks after gardens or who works on a large estate.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
Course Duration: 500 hours.
Start Date: Start at any time - study at a pace that suits you, and with full tutor support for the duration of your studies.
HOW THE COURSE WORKS
You can start the course at any time.
It is studied by distance learning, so you can study in the comfort of your own home. But this doesn't mean you are all alone in your studies. Our highly qualified and friendly tutors are there to help you every step of the way. If you have any questions at all, they are always happy to help.
Each lesson includes set tasks, and is completed with an assignment which the student submits to their course tutor. The tutor will mark the assignment and return this to the student with comments and suggestions for further reading.
Each of the modules shown on this page are also available to study as individual courses. Details of the individual courses and prices are given on the pages accessable via the links in the module titles.
HOW THE PROFICIENCY AWARD IS ASSESSED
The Proficiency Award In Hardy Trees requires 500 hours of study. It is made up of three 100 hour modules and a Workplace Project.
To pass the course –
- Pass all assignments on the three 100 hour modules. There will be an assignment at the end of each lesson to submit to your tutor for marking and feedback.
- Pass three examinations – one on each module. These are usually taken at the end of the module and can be arranged at a time and location to suit you.
- Complete a Workplace Project. The project should last around 200 hours. There are four options available to you to satisfy this requirement. Don’t worry if you are not sure at this stage, your tutor will be there to help you every step of the way. This includes evidence of work experience or other studies or workshops, a research project or completion of Workshop I.
WHY STUDY HARDY TREES WITH ACS?
- Quality - our courses are developed and tutored by experienced professionals, with real world experience.
- Relevant - our courses are relevant to today's world, with teaching that you can apply to real life situations.
- Independent - ACS were established in 1979 and remain an independent distance learning school, meaning we remain fully focused on the development and teaching of our students.
- Flexible - our courses can be started at any time and studied at your own pace, and therefore fitted around your existing commitments.
- Choice - other than offering a wide range of courses in a multitude of disciplines, we provide the options of either online studies or eLearning - you choose the option which best suits you, so you can determine where and when you study.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
The Proficiency Award In Hardy Trees will equip students with a wealth of knowledge about the classification, characteristics, cultivation, and maintenance of Conifers and Deciduous Trees and is an ideal course for:
- Amateurs and professionals.
- Plant collectors and breeders.
Our tutors are more than happy to answer any questions, so please click here to ask a question.
Request a copy of our handbook here.