Working as a Fitness Leader
Fitness Leaders are people who instruct and/or otherwise facilitate other people to undertake activities intended to improve or maintain individuals level of physical (and sometimes mental) well-being.
The job of being a Fitness Leader has changed greatly over the past few decades, and looks certain to continue changing. Exercise classes are no longer simply the preserve of amateur classes in community centres or halls, and the fitness industry has seen significant growth in more affluent countries. With the focus of governments on the promotion of good health and nutrition, membership of such clubs and interest in the industry can only continue to increase. For people looking to build careers in the fitness industry this means opportunities for roles such as gym managers, life coaches, personal trainers, and fitness leaders.
Starting on a Career Path with Quality Learning
The process of training to be a Fitness Leader and associated registration schemes will vary from one country to another. However, most fitness leader registration schemes are "minimalist" and courses leading to registration are commonly a very basic first step.
We are different - our Fitness Leaders Certificate course is much more substantial and sets the graduate up with knowledge and skills well beyond the basic fitness leader. The Fitness Leaders Certificate course is designed to provide students with the tools to develop their knowledge of the science of anatomy and physiology, and an understanding of how the elements of the body (muscles, bones etc.) work together to produce movement (biomechanics). Students will then study the design and delivery of fitness programs.
The course was originally developed when registration standards were higher than they are today. Because we believe in developing students for long-term engagement and career paths, we have maintained and updated the original course. This provides a far better foundation for a serious career in the fitness industry. Based upon quality training and learning, we want you to build a sustainable career.
An important element of being a fitness professional is to ensure that appropriate legal protection is obtained in order to properly cover and accommodate their legal liability. Such protection may be achieved through various means:
- By acquiring skills and knowledge which show an unchallengeable capacity to do the job.
- Insurance -A professional indemnity policy to protect against any impact from a law suit.
- Statements relating to Liability -Displayed notices or membership contracts which clients are clearly advised of limited liability prior to using any offered services.
- Registrations and Memberships -Joining an appropriate professional association and/or registering as a fitness leader under an accreditation scheme can provide an indication that the leader is maintaining professional standing.
Registration as a Fitness Leader alone will not necessarily provide adequate legal protection. Registration simply means you have satisfied what a government or industry body has determined as being required for their registration; but if the courts determine you were still not competent to have done something, or were negligent you may still loose a legal challenge.
What Do You Need to Be a Good Fitness Leader
- The best training you can get - study a quality course which provides you with a foundation of knowledge about how the body works as well as how to design and provide fitness programs.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - you will need to have a good training background to obtain appropriate insurance.
- In some countries and some situations, it may be desirable to gain registration through an accreditation scheme.
We Are Here to Help You Embark on Your Chosen Career Path
Studying with ACS provides you with up-to-date courses, delivered in a flexible manner to fit around your existing commitments. Our courses have been developed over many years, and are designed to be relevant to the real world. Our courses not only teach you your chosen subject, but encourage and develop your capacity for learning, researching, and networking.
Students are supported and guided in their studies by our highly experienced, specialist tutors. Our tutors are highly qualified and have extensive experience of working within their fields.
You can start studying with us at any time - get in touch with us today to plan your studies to suit your career goals.
Find out more by following the links at the bottom of this page, or submitting your questions to our expert Health and Fitness tutors.
Or, you can phone us on (UK) 01384 442752 or (International) +44 (0) 1384 442752.
More from ACS
Directory to dozens of courses -short courses, certificates and diplomas
Learn to be a business coach or life coach. Study online.