Learn about Managing Obesity - understand the impacts of lifestyle, psychology, and nutrition and how to manage these.
- Gain an understanding of the lifestyle factors which affect our health.
- Learn about assessing diets.
- Learn about nutrition and understand the sources, actions, and interactions of nutrients from food.
- Understand the importance of nutrition on physical and mental health.
- Learn about tools typically used by a weight loss consultant - weight checks, BMI, nutritional advice etc.
- Learn about delivering consultation services - from starting a business to conducting a consultation.
- Learn about the effect of food types on different people - from food intolerances to food related diseases.
The Certificate In Obesity Management is suitable for -
- People who work in food provision services - from restaurants, to school meals.
- Nursing staff.
- Health or Lifestyle Coaches who wish to broaden their knowledge and services.
- Anyone caring for others or delivering care services.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
Course Duration: 600 hours.
Start Date: Start at any time - study at a pace that suits you, with the guidance and support of our specialist tutors.
Course Content: Students are to study the 6 Core Modules that form the Certificate In Obesity Management course. The Modules are outlined below, and further information for each can be access by following the links to the respective pages for each.
The Modules are:
Nutrition For Weight Loss BRE210
Weight Loss Consultant BRE307
Food Coaching VRE110
Human Nutrition I BRE102
Human Nutrition II
Human Nutrition III BRE302
MODULE SUMMARIES AND LESSON DETAILS
This 9 lesson module focuses on the impact of diet upon weight and looks at different ways of controlling and reducing weight. The module considers the basics of nutrition and the recommended daily intake of different food types and nutrients. It looks at different approaches to diet, from popular approaches and fads, as well as the use of commercially available products and supplements. There are a variety of routes to desired outcomes which include changing eating behaviour and restricting calorific intake and these are all considered in this module. Often, problems with weight are not directly the result of poor diet, and the module looks at medical conditions and eating disorders which have a bearing on this. The module is completed with the student undertaking a special project where they present outcomes or recommendations to a dietary problem.
The 9 lessons in the Nutrition For Weight Loss module are:
- Lesson 1. Understanding Obesity
- Lesson 2. Nutrition Basics
- Lesson 3. Diets - Fads, Fiction and Fact
- Lesson 4. Preventing Obesity
- Lesson 5. Treating Obesity
- Lesson 6. Modifying Eating Behaviour
- Lesson 7. Restricting Calorie Intake
- Lesson 8. Medical Conditions: Hormones, Drugs, Eating Disorders
- Lesson 9. Planning a Diet
Through 8 lessons, students of the Weight Loss Consultant module will learn about the weight loss industry, studying the scope and nature of weight loss. The module contains lessons which look at managing a diet, through elements such as portion control as well as food types (calories, fats etc.). It also considers the psychological aspects and looks at what tools a consultant has at their disposal to evaluate weight and health, and provide nutritional advice. Particular aspects of the module focus on how a weight loss service may be provided and how a consultation may be conducted. The module is concluded with a lesson which looks at how a weight loss business might be established and the various aspects which need to be considered.
The 8 lessons in the Weight Loss Consultant module are:
- Lesson 1. Scope and Nature of Weight Loss
- Lesson 2. Managing Physical Activity
- Lesson 3. Managing the Diet
- Lesson 4. Managing the Psychology
- Lesson 5. Tools for the Consultant
- Lesson 6. Delivering Weight Loss Services
- Lesson 7. Conducting a Weight Loss Consultation
- Lesson 8. Establishing a Weight Loss Business
This 10 lesson module looks at the effects of lifestyle and nutrition on a person’s health and the processes involved with consulting and advising people to adopt a healthier approach to living. As such, Food Coaching combines coaching skills with knowledge of nutrition to help clients choose better ways of eating and diets which are healthier for them. This is a broad based module which looks at the complete process for a consultant starting out – from the processes of actual consultation to ethics and professional considerations, to the practicalities of managing a food coaching business.
The 10 lessons in the Food Coaching module are:
- Lesson 1. Introduction and the Healthy Diet
- Lesson 2. Professional Standards for Food Coaching
- Lesson 3. Specialist Diets - Chronic Conditions
- Lesson 4. Specialist Diets - Overeating
- Lesson 5. Specialist Diets -Poor Nutritional Diets
- Lesson 7. Food Coaching for Children
- Lesson 8. Lifestyle Changes
- Lesson 9. Moving on
- Lesson 10. Managing Your Food Coaching Service
This 9 lesson module provides a broad introduction to the important elements of nutrition and how it affects human health. Students will learn about the digestive system and how it works. The module looks at the different food groups and the relevance of the different nutritional elements – fats, proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and water. Students will understand the basic daily intake requirements for a human and be able to determine specific dietary requirements for individuals. The module concludes with a lesson on disorders related to food and diet.
The 9 lessons in the Human Nutrition I module are:
- Lesson 1. Introduction to Nutrition
- Lesson 2. The Digestive System
- Lesson 3. Absorption and Enzymes
- Lesson 4. Energy Value of Foods
- Lesson 5. Carbohydrates and Fats
- Lesson 6. Proteins
- Lesson 7. Vitamins and Minerals
- Lesson 8. Water
- Lesson 9. Nutrient Disorders
Human Nutrition II builds and extends upon the lessons from Human Nutrition I. In this 8 lesson module, we look further at the dietary intake of individuals and consider how different elements affect the body and physical health, our mental, and emotional health (state of mind). The module also looks at how food is prepared and the effect this has on its properties and concludes with a lesson concerning when and what we eat. Students learned in Human Nutrition I how to determine dietary requirements and with this module will also gain a further depth of knowledge which also covers areas such as the different dietary needs for people of different ages, planning diets for different specific purposes, and producing 7-day diet plans.
The 8 lessons in the Human Nutrition II module are:
- Lesson 1. Cooking And Its Effect On Nutrition
- Lesson 2. Food Processing And Its Effect On Nutrition
- Lesson 3. Recommended Daily Intake Of Nutrients
- Lesson 4. Vitamins
- Lesson 5. Minerals
- Lesson 6. Planning A Balanced Diet
- Lesson 7. Assessing Nutritional Status And Needs
- Lesson 8. Timing Of Meals, And Needs For Special Groups
This 8 lesson module is concerned with health issues arising from diet. It looks at foods which can have a negative effect on certain people and diseases that occur as a result of an individual’s diet. Students will consider which foods are harmful to some, whilst offering nutritional benefits to others. They will also consider properties of different foods – some which may act as a stimulant, for example, and others which may have a positive medicinal effect. As well as looking at toxicity, the module also contains a lesson on detoxification and cleansing. Human Nutrition III is then completed with a lesson on consulting and giving advice to others.
The 8 lessons in the Human Nutrition III module are:
- Lesson 1. Problems With Eating
- Lesson 2. Dental Problems
- Lesson 3. Fibre and Bowel Diseases
- Lesson 4. Different Ways of Eating
- Lesson 5. Food Toxicity A
- Lesson 6. Food Toxicity B
- Lesson 7. Detoxification/Body Cleansing
- Lesson 8.Consulting/Giving Advice
HOW THE COURSE WORKS
You can start the course at any time.
It is studied by distance learning, so you can study in the comfort of your own home. But this doesn't mean you are all alone in your studies. Our highly qualified and friendly tutors are there to help you every step of the way. If you have any questions at all, they are always happy to help.
Each lesson includes set tasks, and is completed with an assignment which the student submits to their course tutor. The tutor will mark the assignment and return this to the student with comments and suggestions for further reading.
HOW THE CERTIFICATE IS ASSESSED
The Certificate requires around 600 hours of study. This is made up of six 100-hour modules.
To pass the course –
- Pass all assignments on the six 100-hour modules. There will be an assignment at the end of each lesson to submit to your tutor for marking and feedback.
- Pass six examinations – one on each module. These are usually taken at the end of the module and can be arranged at a time and location to suit you.
ENHANCED LEARNING WITH ACS
At ACS we provide you with more than just a set of course notes.
Your 'learning package' includes:
- Course notes.
- Self-assessment quizzes.
- Assignment feedback.
- You can interact one on one with a professional tutor with decades of experience - just email, phone or log on to chat to connect with them.
- Depending upon your course, your studies may involve independent research, interviews, practical exercises, assessments, Problem Based Learning projects, and more.
OUR STUDENTS SAY
"[the course was a valuable learning experience]. [It] gave me confidence and knowledge to start my own small business and help others with health and weight loss... My tutor was brilliant! She replied to questions promptly and my assignments were always returned quickly with useful critique. She was extremely helpful and supportive and I cannot thank her enough! I am very impressed with ACS from start to finish! I have attended other tertiary institutions before and attended university and have never had such a smooth and positive experience as the one with ACS."
Lisa McDonald - Nutrition For Weight Loss Course
"I am expanding my knowledge and the things I am learning in this course I can use in everyday life as well, for example, when it comes to making food choices, I think back to what I have learned in this course and think about how certain foods can benefit me and my body. I am getting feedback about how I am progressing, both negative and positive points which help me to improve and also gives me confidence in what I am doing and also motivating."
S. Ryan - Human Nutrition 1
LEARN MORE WITH ACS
Enrolling is easy - you can Register to Study today - simply go to the panel towards the top of this page (right-hand side), and select your method of study and payment option
If you have any questions, you can get in touch with one of our tutors today - use our FREE COURSE COUNSELLING SERVICE. Our tutors will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about our courses.