So you want to work in the health field?
This course is designed to provide a foundation for further studies in fields of complementary medicine.
It will provide advanced standing (i.e. exemptions) in some courses elsewhere.
This course provides you with an excellent starting point to advancing your knowledge ready for medical training.
This Pre-medical Diploma was designed by medical practitioners to meet the high standards and requirements demanded work in the health industry. Students can discuss their options with our Academic Staff at any time.
Candidates are considered on a case-by-case basis. The basic entry requirement is a High School Diploma or equivalent, with good passes in science subjects (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Mathematics).
University graduates, transfer students and mature students with or without any science background are also eligible to apply for a place. In these cases, additional science-based courses may be required (in which case, additional fees may also apply).
Students whose first language is not English must show proof of English proficiency (IELTS 6.5+, TOEFL 650+, or equivalent). Students may begin the program without these scores BUT they will not be allowed to graduate with the Diploma in Pre-Medical Studies until the required score has been obtained.
What is the program structure?
There are 8 modules of approximately 100 hours each of course content, plus a short introductory course in Technical Writing (non-credit). Self-tests, and assignments are compulsory. There is a final examination for each module. Online support is given for all modules.
Modules (5 Credits each):
Introduction to Technical Writing (non-credit)
Students taking this module will have a basic understanding of technical writing including referencing procedures. Only a few hours study time, and very useful. No fee applies for this module.
This module provides basic knowledge of human anatomy and physiology.
Develops skills to communicate clearly and effectively using medical terminology.
Biochemistry is the chemistry of living things. This course concentrates on the chemistry of the animals.
An understanding of cell biology is important in many areas of study, for the cell is the building block of all living forms.
Focuses on developing a greater familiarisation with biochemical molecules.
Develop and build your understanding of the principles of Physiology. Here, we will examine functions of the cells, tissues, systems of the human body.
Provides an opportunity to develop and build on your understanding of the principles of Anatomy.
To explain a range of common biochemical processes with an emphasis upon animal and human biochemical processes.
After successfully accumulating 40 credits, and meeting all other requirements, all students will receive a Diploma in Pre-Medical Studies from Warnborough College.
How long will it take?
This will depend on the successful completion in each of the 8 modules. The modules are self-paced. Module exemption may be permitted on academic evidence and/or assessment. A fee will be required per module for assessment and granting credit.
What are the benefits of the ACS/Warnborough Pre-Medical program?
- A first-class academic program designed by medical practitioners.
- Begin at any time - immediate registration - no loss of time.
- Study from home - no need to take time off from work or relocate to the UK.
- Self-paced online learning with friendly mentor support.
Diploma in Pre-Medical Studies delivered by ACS in conjunction with Warnborough College
Learn the Language First
A key part of this course is to learn medical language. If you cannot understand medical practitioners; you will not be able to understand colleagues and employers, if and when you work in the health services industry. Neither will you be able to clearly understand what you read and hear, if you decide to go on to study at a higher level.
Terminology is not as difficult to understand, once you understand how medical terms are constructed. Most are derived from other words , or parts of words that are familiar to us. When you study medical terminology as part of this diploma; you will see how this works. Here are some examples of terms you may encounter, and their component parts:
Prefix - para (one side/alongside)
Root - enter (intestine)
Suffix - al (pertaining to)
Pertaining to alongside of the intestine, parenteral refers to substances that are delivered into the body by other means than via the digestive tract, this may be intravenous, subcutaneous or intramuscular. Parenteral nutrition is nutrition administered through the veins of the circulatory system rather than through the digestive system (enteral nutrition).
Prefix- peri (around)
Root - cardi (heart)
Suffix - itis (inflammation)
Meaning inflammation around the heart, specifically pericarditis involves the inflammation of the pericardium which is a fluid filled sac surrounding the heart. Pericarditis most often results from a viral or bacterial infection, it may also be caused by having had a heart attack an abdominal injury, cancer and some inflammatory diseases. Symptoms of pericarditis typically include chest pains and fever.
Prefix - peri (around)
Root - cardi (heart)
Suffix - um (structure; tissue; thing)
Fibrous tissue which surrounds the heart and major blood vessels. Pericardium has an outer coat and a double inner coat. The space between the layers is filled with pericardial fluid. Fluid acts a lubricant to allow for normal movement of the heart within the chest.
Prefix - peri (around)
Root - nat (birth)
Suffix - al (pertaining to)
Refers to event/procedures occurring around the time of giving birth.
ACS follows the old fashioned idea that “the student comes first”. Our staff are told to treat every student as an individual and respond promptly to their enquiries; and the facilities we have developed and continue to develop, are all focused on that goal.
- Offices in two time zones (UK and Australia) –which means an international team of academics are responding to students 5 days a week and 16 hours a day.
- An online student room with unique resources that are only available to students studying our courses, including online library.
- Bookshop offering quality downloadable eBooks
- A data base of 20 million words of unique information written by our staff over 3 decades that can be drawn upon if needed by academics for use in supporting our students.
- Systems that ensure assignments are tracked, marked and returned to students, fast - commonly within a round 1 week and rarely more than 2 weeks (note: many other colleges take longer).
- The school is active in social networking and encourages students to connect with us and each other.
- No automated handling of student phone enquiries. When you call you get a real person; or leave a message and a real person will call you back within a day, but more commonly within an hour or two.
- No additional charges for extra tutor support over the phone or email.
- Free careers advice for graduates – It is our policy to provide support and advice to our students even after they graduate. If a graduate needs help with getting a CV together, or advice on setting up a business or looking for work; they only need ask.
- The quality of academic staff is higher than many other colleges.
How our Courses Differ
- Courses are continually improved – we invite feedback from all graduates and change courses immediately the need is detected.
- Courses are relevant to the whole world – we try hard to teach make the learning transferable to any region or country because the world is increasingly a global economy.
- Courses written by our staff, teach different skills to standard courses; giving a unique mix of skills and knowledge to provide a career advantage.
- Certificates and diplomas are longer. They teach you more, and our qualifications have built a reputation among academics and industry as being a very high standard for this reason.
- We are focused on helping you learn in a way that improves your capacity to understand your discipline, apply knowledge, and continue learning and developing your capabilities beyond your course.
Interested and want to know more?
Our tutors are here to help you - get in touch with our specialist Health Science tutors today. They will be happy to discuss the course, your goals, and explain how studying with ACS can work for you.