Does Small Business Suit You?
... and do you suit it?
It is never easy to decide to set up your own business. There is risk involved, but there are always advantages.
Before deciding if a small business is for you, think of the options –
- You don’t have to give up work straight away, you can set up your own business and work part time alongside your existing job. This reduces the risk to you and you still maintain your income while you see if the business idea will work.
- Buy into a franchise or affiliate relationship and receive training and advice from experienced business people. The franchise will cost money, but you will also receive support, advice and training from the people offering the franchise. They will want you to succeed as much as you.
- Go into it wholeheartedly and set up your new business.
Whichever option you decide upon, setting up your own business can be hard work. So before you get started, consider a few points. Ask yourself –
- Do I want to be my own boss?
- Do I have the self-discipline to work for myself?
- Am I a self-starter?
- Am I hardworking and motivated?
- Do I want to give up work to start my business or start part-time at first?
- Where will I work?
- When will I work?
- What skills do I have?
- What skills do I need to run my own business? (For example, do you need to retrain? Do you need to know how to do bookkeeping? What about staff management and recruitment? Think of the things you might need to know about before starting the business.)
- Do I want to work alone or with a partner?
When you have answered these questions, you really need to think carefully about your business idea.
- Is it a good idea?
- Is there a lot of competition?
- Is there a market for my idea?
- Is it financially viable?
Do you ever walk around and notice new businesses set up and close down fairly quickly? Do you think things like – "That won’t last, there’s no parking." "They’re too expensive." "They are in the wrong place, they won’t get any footfall." "They won’t sell that here, they should be in ..." "That would be better as an online shop." And so on.
Use your idea thoughts and ideas and make sure you don’t make the same mistakes.
Invest in your future - study for your future success
If you are thinking of starting your own business, we can help.
We have a great selection of business courses including Business Studies, Marketing Foundations, Bookkeeping, Starting a Small Business. In other disciplines we offer specialist training in a wide range of areas including (Horticulture) Nursery Management, Life and Business Coaching, and Technical Writing.
Get in touch with our specialist tutors today - ask them about studying with ACS and the different training options that we offer to meet your goals, or business planning.
Courses are available which you can use for training in new areas, or to increase your knowledge in an area you are already familiar with. If you do not need to study for a particular discipline, but need to learn about how to run or manage a business then we have courses that will help you in this too.
More from ACS
Directory to short courses, certificates and diplomas. Lots of study options.