Symptoms of Inadequate Nutrition
- The hair may become dull and brittle, or it may fall out or change colour.
- Headaches may be related to vitamin deficiency.
- Night blindness may arise from lack of vitamin A.
- The tongue may become inflamed as a result of a number of vitamin deficiencies.
- Bleeding gums may be a sign of scurvy (vitamin C deficiency).
- Enlargement of the thyroid gland (goitre) may be linked to iodine deficiency.
- Rashes, itching, soreness, scaliness and cracking of the skin may be a sign of a number of vitamin deficiencies.
- Obese people often experience breathing difficulties.
- Backache may occur as a result of obesity.
- Too much food, particularly fat and carbohydrates, will lead to obesity. Too little food will cause wasting of the tissues and ultimately starvation. Failure to thrive in children may be a sign of marasmus (too little energy intake) or kwashiorkor (too little protein and energy intake).
- Heart disease can occur as a result of obesity, and heart failure may be a result of extreme anorexia nervosa as the balance of electrolytes is disturbed.
- Softening of the bones may be a sign of rickets (lack of vitamin D).
- Loss of motor function in the legs may be a sign of beriberi (lack of vitamin B1, or thiamine).
- Lesions in the spinal cord may be a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency.
- There are a number of conditions affecting the stomach and digestive system as a result of diet. Symptoms may include diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, pain and cramps.
- Stones may form in the kidneys as a result of insufficient fluid; obese people may be prone to kidney failure.
- Adrenal glands may enlarge as a result of pantothenic salt deficiency (related to the B vitamins).
- The formation of gallstones is associated with a fatty diet.
- Too much alcohol may cause cirrhosis of the liver.
- Insufficient iron will cause anaemia.
- Constipation can be caused by lack of fibre in the diet.
- Piles (haemorrhoids) may also be a result of lack of fibre.
- Swelling and painful feet may be a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Numbness in the toes may be a sign of vitamin deficiency.
We offer a wide range of distance learning courses covering areas such as child and baby nutrition, obesity management, nutrition for sports, and nutrition counselling. Our courses have been written by highly qualified and experienced specialists. All of our courses are available to start at any time and can be studied online or by eLearning.
Whether you are looking to study for personal interest, or to develop your knowledge to help in your business or career, if have any questions, you can get in touch with our specialist nutrition tutors today. They will be happy to answer your questions and look at the different study options available to meet your goals.
More from ACS
Directory to dozens of courses -short courses, certificates and diplomas
Learn to eat a balanced diet.
Are there things you just should not eat?