Getting the Better of Stress
DO YOU FIND IT HARD TO RELAX? DO YOU FEEL STRESSED A LOT?
There are several methods of achieving relaxation, including massage, exercise, meditation and guided imagery. It can be as simple as sitting quietly and listening to some favourite music. Ideally, try to aim for 30 minutes each day of uninterrupted relaxation time. This may mean rising slightly earlier, going for a walk of an evening, or using children’s nap times to relax, instead of doing more chores. Organising assistance and support from family and friends to help you keep this balance in your life is important.
TAKE SOME TIME FOR YOURSELF
- Get a massage.
- Read a book.
- Watch TV.
- Do exercise or sport.
- Take time for a hobby.
- Get out in your garden.
- Talk to a friend.
- Listen to music.
The following oils are thought to help relieve stress:
- Ylang ylang
TALK TO SOMEONE - SEE A COUNSELLOR
PLAY WITH YOUR CHILDREN
PLAY WITH YOUR PET OR WALK YOUR DOG
No matter what techniques you choose to use for stress management, the following general rules should always be kept in mind:
- Do something you enjoy. Whether it is a hobby, sport or even a job; you need to be involved in satisfying pastimes on a regular basis.
- Allocate time for yourself and don’t feel guilty about it.
- Recognise that relaxation time is as important as other aspects of your life.
- Don't over commit your time to other people.
- Be committed to any stress reducing activity you take on.
- Don't overload your mind, make a list so you can clearly see all you need to do
- Bring problems out in the open don't bottle them up.
- Don't procrastinate (waste time). Putting off something you dread only makes it worse and magnifies the problem.
- Learn to say "No". Realize that much anger and irritation can be avoided by not letting yourself be imposed upon by other people.
UNDERSTAND MORE ABOUT STRESS
If you would like to learn more about reducing your stress levels, why not have a look at our course on Stress Management or our other Psychology and Health & Leisure Courses? Links to the course directories can be found at the bottom of this page.
If you are interested in studying with ACS but are not sure which course to choose, or if you have any questions, then please contact us now on
Phone (UK) 01384 442752, or (International) +44 (0) 1384 442752, or
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use our FREE COURSE COUNSELLING SERVICE to connect with our friendly expert tutors.
More from ACS
Directory to dozens of home study options -short courses, certificates and diplomas.
Directory to dozens of courses -short courses, certificates and diplomas