Start your career in Environmental Management here!
A diploma or degree in Environmental Science is a good start, but you will need more for secure, long term employment. The environment may be important, and the industry may be growing fast; but the mix of skills, knowledge and experience needed for the job opportunities today, are probably different to what will be needed in a years time.
(Tip: This industry is rapidly changing-Keep your studies broad and your options for work wide)
Where are the Jobs?
This provides students with the opportunity to develop those "in demand" skills needed for career entry and progression - without having to take time out from work or other commitments in order to study. With the flexibility to chose from a wide range of electives making your course suit you.
The course tutors are skilled professionals who are fully qualified in the various subject areas. In addition, they combine their qualifications with many years of actual practical experience.
The course is divided into 15 subjects/modules as follows:
Core Modules (Each module = 100 hours)
Click on the Links Below for More Information on Each Individual Course.
You must successfully complete all assignments and pass exams in each of the following:
Choose four of the following (You may choose later in the course if you wish)
What You Will Do
- Visit, observe and undertake research into different environments
- Practice hands on skills that are important to identifying and analyzing components of environments including animals, plants, soils, etc.
- Network with industry professionals, suppliers, public and private enterprises and others who are involved in environmental and sustainability industries.
- Undertake minor and more significant reseach, developing your professional, scientific research skills.
- Develop skills that provide "real" work opportunities for environment professionals (which unfortunately are not always covered in other courses)
- Learn to conduct and write up environmental Assessments
- Learn to manage projects
- Learn to organise and conduct an ecotourism enterprise
- Learn to work to specification when addressing environmental problems (by undertaking Problem Based Learning Projects)
- Read, investigate, discuss, and formulate informed perceptions and opinions about a wide range of environmental concepts and ideas.
- Attend meetings, trade shows, seminars and/or conferences that are relevant to the environmental profession.
- Interact with and learn from a range of highly qualified and experienced environmental professionals who act as your tutors, either via email, phone, mail and/or in person.
LEARN ESSENTIAL PRACTICAL SKILLS TO WORK IN ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
Climate change, species extinction, pollution, emissions trading schemes (ETS's) and "greening" economies are the catch-phrases and concerns of informed people worldwide. New employment opportunities are constantly emerging in this field but, despite this continuing growth, many graduates in the environmental sciences still find that a job eludes them. Often this is because their studies have not covered the subjects and skills which are in fact providing the employment opportunities.
WHERE THIS COURSE CAN LEAD
Environmental management is an industry that promises a growth in opportunity over the coming decades. Despite this fact though, graduates from environmental courses do often find it difficult to gain the employment they hoped for. One must ask why?
Having an understanding of the environment is not enough in itself, to guarantee a long term career.
Some types of environmental jobs tend to be more likely dependant upon government funding; and the availability of those jobs will increase and decrease as public funding increases and decreases. Other jobs however, are more likely to always be there, and some of those more "stable" opportunities are going to offer graduates a more secure future. Consider things such as "renewable energy", "land management", "waste management", "routine environmental assessment", "wildlife management", "teaching" and "media".
To secure a future career, you need to:
- Undertake studies that will give you a mix of skills that will always be in demand
- Undertake a mix of studies that will differentiate you from your competition
- Build your networks/contacts within industry
- Build communication and management skills. Learn to write well, and efficiently. Learn to manage projects. Learn to work to specification.
This and other ACS courses helps develop your "employability in these and other ways; more so than some other schools.
Conducting Environmental Assessments - A Graduate Opportunity
When asked to conduct an assessment, an environmental consultant may have to examine more than just the environmental or physical impacts of a development. The consultant may need to look at the social, economic and demographic consequences of the proposal. Environmental assessments will also vary depending on which country you are in and the type of change or development that is proposed. Around the world, all the following terms refer to some sort of environmental assessment:
- Demographic Impact Assessment
- Development Impact Assessment
- Ecological Impact Assessment
- Economic and Fiscal Impact Assessment
- Environmental Audit
- Health Impact Assessment
- Strategic Impact Assessment
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Environmental Impact Statement
- Environmental Risk Assessment
- Social Impact Assessment
- Climate Impact Assessment
Think about the types of assessments that you have researched in the past lessons. Which types of assessment apply in your area? Are they on this list? Note that even though there are many different types of assessment and differences in their name and focus depending upon the country you live in, for the purposes of this course, the term Environmental Impact Assessment is used interchangeably to represent the range of environmental assessment types that exist.
Register to Study -Go to panel toward top of this page (right column)
Get Advice -Use our FREE COUNSELLING SERVICE to contact a tutor
Email us at email@example.com or
CLICK TO CONTACT US