Train and Help Staff Reach Their Potential
The Vicious Circle of Learning for Lower Paid Staff – Help Staff to reach their potential
The new Social Mobility Commission in the UK says that adults who are poorer and with lower qualifications are less likely to access training, even though they may be the ones who need it most. The Commission warns of a virtuous and vicious cycle of learning.
The Commission’s Research found that training is more often provided to people who are already skilled and/or highly paid. The report suggests that the government provides more flexibility on how skills funding is spent and a better understanding of the disparities in training investment.
The Commission argues that this is wasting the potential of some employees, but not offering them training and progression. Alastair Da Costa, a member of the Commission states “A lack of ongoing training for low paid workers is a contributing factor for millions to a lifetime of poorly-paid work.”
The Commission found that -
- 25% of adults had job related training in the last three months (the research was carried out in 2017).
- There is evidence of a decrease in the people taking training since the 2000's.
- People in lower socio-economic groups are less likely to take part in training than people from more advantaged backgrounds.
- Around half of people from lower socio-economic groups hadn't had any training or learning since leaving school.
- High paid, higher skilled professionals were twice as likely to have had some form of training in the last year compared to lower skilled occupations.
- £44 billion was spend on adult training in 2013/2014. 82% from employers, 7% from the government and 11% from individuals.
This report shows how people from lower socio-economic backgrounds can fall into a vicious circle where a lack of training leads to low promotional prospects and so it continues.
It is important for employers to train lower paid and lower skilled staff as a way to increase their potential land also benefit organisations.
Find out more
If you would like to find out more about staff training and development, please get in touch with us today.
Phone us on (UK) 01384 442752 or (International) +44 (0) 1384 442752, or
Email us at email@example.com
More from ACS
Directory to dozens of courses include short courses, certificates and diplomas.
Directory to dozens of home study options -short courses, certificates and diplomas.
Short courses, certificates and diplomas -lots of home study options.
Directory to dozens of courses -short courses, certificates and diplomas
Over 150 short courses, certificates and diplomas covering landscaping, crops, plants of all types and general gardening.
Directory to short courses, certificates and diplomas. Lots of study options.
Lots of options to study computer programming, servicing and management.
Short courses, certificates and diplomas -dozens of study options.
Short courses, certificates and diplomas - dozens of unique study options